Series: Elijah the Prophet
God is Greater
July 07, 2019 | Jason Holmes
1 Kings 18:19-39
The prophet Elijah felt like he was the last prophet of God left among 450 prophets of Baal. To show that the Lord was the one true God, Elijah set up an incredible showdown with the prophets of Baal at Mount Carmel. They would set each set up an altar but not light it on fire. The prophets of Baal would call on their god and Elijah would call on the Lord. The one who answered that prayer by fire would be God! Elijah looked like a huge underdog in this showdown – except for one thing – God is always greater. Just like the Israelites, we “No longer need to waver between two opinions.” We need to hold fast to the hope that God is always faithful to His promises.
- Do you ever feel like an underdog in life?
- Have you ever felt alone in your faith among a crowd of others that don’t seem to be following God?
- What do you worship other than God? Where do you spend the majority of your time, energy, and resources?
- We probably don’t worship Baal, but what is something that could potentially challenge your worship of God?
- Do you know that God is faithful? What are some promises of God that you trust God to faithfully answer?
- What is your story? What is your testimony of God’s faithfulness?
- God is greater. As a follower of Christ, you are never alone and never an underdog. How does this affect the way you live?
Why are there so many biographies in the Bible? Could it be the Holy Spirit loves to teach truth in terms of people’s lives? In this series, we X-ray Elijah, greatest of the prophets - and a man just like us. What made him so courageous? How did he make decisions? How did God restore his soul from discouragement? How did he make disciples?