Series: Living Excellent Lives
Leadership in Your Family
June 16, 2019 | Sam Shaw
1 Peter 5:1-4
Last year 6,000 churches in this country closed their doors for the last time. Everyday 3,500 people leave church in America. Many of the reasons why those churches have closed those doors and those people have left has to do with local church leadership. And it's not only in church, it's in the home as well. When parents lead well, unbelievable things happen in a family. And conversely, if the in the home parental leadership is not done well, unbelievable, awful things tend to happen. So, it is just critical we get leadership right. Join us as Lead Pastor Sam Shaw walks us through 1 Peter 5:1-4; Peter's strongly worded message to local church leaders.
- Have you ever been under a really good leader? What was he or she like? What made him or her such a good leader?
- Why is leadership so important in a church? In a family?
- Sam defined leadership in one word. What was that word? Do you agree?
- Read 1 Timothy 3:1-7. What are the characteristics of a good “overseer” or pastor or elder?
- Read 1 Peter 5:1-4. What authority do elders have in a local church? In what way is the authority of an elder limited?
- What kinds of decisions should be made by elders and what kind should be made by the entire congregation?
- What do you think our Orchard leaders most need prayer for?
- Pray for them as a group.
Have you ever wondered how you are to live an excellent life? And to live an excellent life, not for yourself, but for the God who created you and loves you? Let’s take a journey together through 1 Peter beginning on January 13 to see how we can glorify God by the way we live.