ELDERS TO THE ORCHARD CHURCH BODY
As shepherds and overseers of a local church, elders are entrusted with protecting, leading, equipping, and caring for the corporate church body and its individual members. The requirements for elders are spelled out within the Scriptures.
- To ensure that elders, deacons, and staff members who serve in these offices, walk accordingly to the criteria assigned to them in the Scriptures (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- To prayerfully seek God’s will for our church community and steward her resources to the best of our ability based on our study of the Scriptures and following of the Spirit (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- To care for the church and seek her growth in grace, truth, and love (Matthew 28:16-20; Ephesians 4:15-16; Colossians 1:28; James 5:14; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- To provide teaching and counsel from the whole of Scripture (Acts 20:27-28; 1 Timothy 4:16; 2 Timothy 4:1-5; Titus 2:1).
- To equip the members of the church for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-16).
- To be on guard against false teachers and teachings (Matthew 7:15; Acts 20:28-31; 1 Timothy 1:3-7; 1 John 4:1).
- To lovingly exercise discipline when necessary, for the glory of God, the good of the one disciplined, and the health of the church as a whole (Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 5; Galatians 6:1; James 5:19-20).
- To set an example and join members in fulfilling the obligations of church membership stated below (Philippians 3:17; 1 Timothy 4:12; Titus 2:7-8; 1 Peter 5:3).
At The Orchard Church, we rely on 1 Timothy 3:8-13 in order to establish the qualifications of our Deacons. That is to say, that man nominated for the office of Deacon should be: worthy of respect, honest and sincere, free from addiction, and never inclined to pursue dishonest gain. A Deacon Candidate must believe the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience and have sufficient experience to have been tested. Lastly, a Deacon Candidate must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well. In the same way, the wife of a Deacon Candidate must also be worthy of respect, not a malicious talker but temperate and trustworthy in everything.