The Orchard wants to encourage you to serve people in your home, your neighborhood and our city. Opportunities for service are separated into two categories – Partners and Extended Network. Partners are the ministries/individuals that we directly support with giving or service. Ministries in our Extended Network are ministries that we want to make you aware of because they are ministries that align with our core values and purpose.
The Orchard Church adopted Ross Elementary, a Memphis City School, in April 2011. We support the school by supporting the teachers and administrators and providing needed supplies for daily learning. All our involvement with the school and the community around it is done in an effort to connect with our neighbors in the city, showing God’s love to them through our actions. Watch the videos below to catch a glimpse of our partnership!
Memphis Union Mission
Every 3rd Sunday a team from The Orchard Fellowship serves a meal to approximately 250 homeless men at the Memphis Union Mission. We meet at the Mission located at 383 Poplar Ave at 4:30 pm and finish with Chapel and prayer at approx. 7pm. Address: 383 Poplar Ave.
This is a great opportunity for families to serve together. Here are a few guidelines provided by the Mission for those who volunteer:
- All volunteers should be respectful during chapel services and prayer, taking part and participating as role models for our clients. This means sitting with our guests (rather than standing at a distance) and refraining from texting, talking, and horseplay.
- Female volunteers should dress modestly. Tight clothing, shirts that leave the shoulders or stomach bare, and short skirts and shorts are not appropriate.
- Shirts that promote alcohol, drugs, or lifestyles/beliefs contrary to Christianity should not be worn.
- It is the responsibility of the person who has arranged the visit to Memphis Union Mission to explain and enforce the code of conduct.
- Memphis Union Mission will not be held responsible for any injuries or accidents that may occur on any of our properties.
- Communicating with clients beyond your visit (including, but not limited to, letter writing, phone calls, and care packages) should always be coordinated through a Mission staff member.
Partner with Ryan Bush, a church planter in our Missional Partner Network, to share the Gospel with people from every corner of the globe living here in Memphis by tutoring them in English. There is no prior experience or skill level required – just a heart to serve.
ESL tutoring sessions are held at Bridgewater School (7015 Raleigh LaGrange Rd, Cordova, TN 38018).
Check out some video testimony of what God is doing through The Orchard in our city!