1. What was the significance of the “scepter” (Num 24:17) and the “light” (Isa 60:1–3) in the prophecies about the Messiah?
2. Describe the reaction of the religious leaders to Jesus’ birth. How does this reaction serve as a warning for us?
3. Why was Bethlehem a significant location for Jesus’ birth?
4. Why would Matthew specifically refer to Judah in his quotation of Micah 5:2?
5. How does Matthew point to Jesus’ kingship in this passage?
6. How is it clear that the star was not merely a natural phenomenon?
7. How does this passage speak to God’s desire to reach the nations with the message of Jesus?