1. Retell the story of the first two chapters of Esther. What questions does it raise?
2. What is your impression of the King? Vashti? Mordecai? Esther?
3. When discussing the Bible, both with Christians and non-Christians, should we feel the need to defend the behavior of the “good guys?” Should we be willing to point out their faults? Why or why not?
4. Take your conclusions from question 3 and apply them to yourself. Should we be wiling to point out our personal flaws - even serious ones - to both Christians and non-Christians? Why or why not?
5. Why do you think God is not mentioned in the book of Esther? What might this say about the times we feel God is silent in our lives?
6. What are some examples of ways that our culture obsesses on appearances?
7. How does the gospel set us free from our culture’s standards of beauty?