1. Read Gen 12:1-4. Where is home for you? When did you first leave there? Why did you leave? What did you take with you? What did you leave behind?
2. What do you hope to be doing at age 75?
3. What command and promises did God give to Abram? Were each of the promises fulfilled?
4. Why does God promise Abram a great name (12:2) when God stopped the name-building efforts of others (Gen 6:4ff, 11:4ff).
5. Read Gen 12:7-8. In most of the places where Abraham traveled, he built an altar and called on the name of the Lord. Why is this significant? How could we follow his example today?
6. Read Gen 12:10-20. Abram gets to the promised land and the first thing he encounters is a famine. Have you ever had an experience like that? Did Abraham do the right thing in going to Egypt? If so, why? If not, why not?
7. Is lying ever justified? In other words, do you believe the end justifies the means. If so, why? if not, why not? Where is it tough for you to be totally truthful?
8. Read Gen 15:1-19. What does the story of the cut animals, the smoke and torch, and Abram’s sleep mean? What does it mean that Abraham did not walk between the animals?
9. Over and over, God reassured Abram of his promises. Where in your life are you longing for some certainty?